How do slip, trip and fall claims work?

If you’ve suffered an injury due to a slip, trip or fall, you might be able to claim compensation. Unfortunately, while such incidents and injuries are relatively common, their often innocuous nature means many people don’t even consider the possibility of bringing a compensation claim.

Let’s explore how bringing a claim for a slip, trip or fall would work and how to understand whether you might have grounds for a claim.

When can I claim compensation for a slip, trip or fall?

You might be able to claim compensation if you’re injured in a slip, trip or fall that wasn’t your fault.

To bring a successful personal injury claim for a slip, trip, or fall, a personal injury solicitor would need to determine that:

  • The potential defendant had a duty of care towards you.
  • A breach of that duty of care led to your slip, trip or fall and, subsequently, your injury.
  • Your injuries happened due to the slip, trip or fall in question.

If that sounds quite technical, don’t worry!

There are many laws detailing who has a duty of care in various scenarios. If you bring a personal injury claim, your solicitor will use their knowledge to determine under which legislation to bring your claim.

What are the most common causes of slips, trips and falls?

It’s always worth remembering that the circumstances behind every accident and injury differ.

While not an exhaustive list, below are some of the most common causes of slips, trips and falls that could lead to you bringing a personal injury claim:

  • Falls or trips caused by uneven pavements and damaged paving slabs.
  • Trips caused by cables running loosely across the office and other workspace floors.
  • Trips when a hazard that would otherwise have been visible is obscured by inadequate lighting.
  • Tripping if a lift doesn’t stop level with the floor.
  • Tripping on a doormat when entering a building.
  • Slipping on a wet floor when there is no warning signage in place.

What are the most common injuries caused by slips, trips and falls?

While the nature of your injuries will depend on your accident, common injuries resulting from slips, trips and falls include:

  • Sprains or broken bones, particularly around the lower legs, arms, hands and wrists.
  • Cuts and bruises.
  • Neck and back injuries, including whiplash.
  • Shoulder injuries.
  • Brain injuries.

How much compensation could I get?

Personal injury compensation claims are typically split into two elements:

  • General damages, which is the compensation for the injury itself.
  • Special damages, which is compensation to cover any costs, expenses or losses you incur due to your injury.

In all personal injury claims, the general damages element of your compensation award will always depend on the specific nature of your injuries and how long your symptoms last.

Likewise, the special damages element will depend on your circumstances. For example, if you earn £50,000 a year and had to take two months off work due to your injury, you would get more special damages compensation than someone in the same situation earning £30,000 a year.

Given these variables, it’s impossible to say how much personal injury compensation you would get after a slip, trip or fall. What we can say is that the more serious your injuries and the longer your recovery time, the higher your general damages compensation award is likely to be.

What evidence do I need to bring a successful slip, trip or fall claim?

As in any personal injury claim, the evidence you can gather following a slip, trip or fall will be vital in helping you get the compensation you deserve.

If possible, do the following after your accident:

  • Take photographs of where the accident took place. In an ideal world, you’ll get a photo immediately after the accident, as this will give the most accurate picture of what happened. Aim to capture as much detail in your picture as possible so you can highlight a lack of warning or demonstrate where negligence occurred.
  • Start gathering medical evidence. Even if you’re injured in a building, and an on-site first aider helps you, typically, they won’t be a medical professional. So visit the hospital or your GP as soon as you can. Any medical notes will be vital in building your case, especially if your symptoms develop over time.
  • Get CCTV footage if it is available. If a business or another party is unwilling to give you a copy of the footage, they may allow you to take a recording of it on your phone. If this fails, speak to a personal injury solicitor, who can take steps to contact the defendant to ensure any evidence is not deleted or otherwise destroyed.
  • Collect witnesses’ contact details. Some witnesses may not be willing to give you their details, but if they are, get their names and contact numbers so your personal injury solicitor can contact them for a statement should the defendant deny liability.
  • Report the accident and get a copy of any completed accident report documentation. For example, if you slip in a shop, there should be some formal accident reporting procedure. If this involves filling in an accident book, request a copy of the reporting form.

Is there a time limit for bringing a slip, trip and fall claim?

Except under certain circumstances, you will have three years from the date of your accident to bring a slip, trip and fall claim.

Learn more about claiming personal injury compensation outside the usual three-year time limitation.

How would I go about bringing a slip, trip and fall claim?

The specific nature of your slip, trip and fall claim would largely depend on where the accident occurred.

For example:

  • If you suffered your accident in a shop, this would likely be an occupier’s liability claim. Your claim would be against the business operating in the premises.
  • If you had an accident at work, this would likely be an employer’s liability claim, and you would bring a claim against your employer.
  • If you had a slip, trip or fall in the park, this would likely be a public liability claim, which you would bring against the local council or whoever is responsible for maintaining the area where you had your accident.

However, the specifics of your claim wouldn’t change from your perspective. Your personal injury solicitor will identify the relevant legislation under which to bring your claim, and you can relax while they go about managing your case and getting your compensation.

Start your slip, trip and fall claim with LawPlus Solicitors

If you’ve been injured due to a slip, trip or fall, LawPlus Solicitors can help you get the compensation you deserve.

Contact us now for a free, no-obligation review of your potential claim.

Get in Touch

Fill in the form below to tell us your details, and we’ll get started.