We are committed to high quality legal advice and client care. If you are unhappy about any aspect of the legal service you have received, or about the bill, please contact Matthew Reynard, Partner by letter, email or telephone.

At any time, or if you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint, you can ask for a copy of our complaints procedure. If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you can, under that procedure, raise the matter with us formally by contacting Matthew Reynard in writing at: Bank Chambers, Stockport, SK1 1AR or by e-mail to

If for any reason we are unable to resolve the problem between us, then the Office for Legal Complaints, which is accountable to Parliament through the Lord Chancellor and is sponsored by the Ministry of Justice, operates a complaints and redress scheme via the Legal Ombudsman (LeO). The Legal Ombudsman deals with complaints against lawyers. If you are unhappy with any insurance advice you receive from us, you should raise your concerns with either of those bodies. The LeO is an independent complaints handling body and is not part of the solicitors’ profession and operates independently.

A complaint to the LeO should not normally be made until 8 weeks after you have raised your complaint with us. Under our complaints procedure once we have responded to your complaint if you wish to take if further you must refer the complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within 6 months of the date of our written response. Ordinarily a complaint must also be made within:

  1. six years of the act/omission or
  2. three years from when the complainant should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint without taking advice from a third party

Whichever is later

A complaint to the LeO may be made by contacting them at: PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ or by telephoning 0300 555 0333 or at their website at

The LeO will only consider complaints made by members of the public, very small businesses, charities, clubs and trusts. If you are unclear as to your status and whether you have the right to make a complaint to the LeO, you should contact the Ombudsman direct to clarify whether or not you are entitled to do so. The contact details are above.

For the avoidance of doubt, your complaint can include a complaint about our firm’s bill. You may, depending on the type of case you have with us, have a right to object to the bill by applying to the Court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. You should note that if all or part of a bill remains unpaid, we are entitled to charge you interest.

If you have a complaint or concern about any barrister or other professional we instruct on your behalf, please let us know. They should have their own complaints process, and so if you are not happy with their service you can complain to them direct. However, we can tell you have to make your complaint if they have not given you that information themselves.